Tuesday, July 22, 2014

We Could Be Heroes

It's been a while, a while long enough to write something like this and really feel free and open about it.
The on and off 9 years I spent working at The Lodge will forever be etched in my mind, heart and soul. I met some of my best friends there, plenty of other friends, some great ex girlfriends, some not so great, some great whatevers and so on. I learned a lot, good and bad, all kinds of FILTH all kinds of KUNTY all kinds of great and all kinds of meh. My mentor, I met him here. He re-hired me twice. He's no longer with us, but I feel like he's with us more than ever today. In our hearts, pushing us to follow our dreams. Don't waste time. "It's all about personality." That amazing yet crazy Boston man...
One thing that I've been holding back is that favorite memory or memories. I could go on and say it was drinking with friends and staff, meeting all these great people, blowies in the annex room or office, pool parties with Blue, Rumpiez with P, backbar with TonyTone, Thursdays with Nate, Wednesdays with the old school door crew, Sundays with shit, Sundays with EVERYONE! All of you, from my first day to the last day that bar was closed, SUNDAYS! And that brings me to this...
Sundays... My fondest memory is captivated in a short-lived time span on only Sundays. Not the backbar madness, not the front bar Bears games, not the bags bums, pool or altercations with the Euros... In all honesty my most fond memory was, "DJing." I am no DJ by any means, I mean at all. I don't know how to do all that tricky shit yall may, but one thing I will praise myself on is knowing the crowd! Looking at that crowd from up above, taking mental notes and playing music for EVERYONE. Not for me, not for the staff, not for that group of hot twenty-somethings (hopefully, HA!) Im talking EVERYONE. I didnt care about a set list, I didnt care about keeping music genres together, shit I didnt care about anything other than one thing and that one thing was entertaining... The first time I got up there on a Sunday for shits and giggles. The Bears had lost and I said, "fawk it, it cant get worse than this." So I set up the DJ board and played some music. Before you knew it, 6PM rolled around and the place was still packed. The one of few times MT was in the house on a Sunday was this time and he noticed the consistency of the crowd, atmosphere and of course, music. I mean, where else are you going to go on a Sunday and hear the DJ play Chuck Mangione, Biggy and David Bowie all in that order? I learned many many moons ago to simply to, "know your audience." That sat in my head for a long time and I never knew why until I got up there one afternoon and BOOM. I always gave thanks to my guys for assisting me in that shit too! (Jeremy for inspiring me to play what I want, Cecil for showing me the mechanics, Nate for always telling me to just have fun.)
Those times up there on Sundays between the end of the game and the start of Bobby D, those are incredible memories for me. Alone in a booth, keeping people happy, dancing, heads bobbing, having a good time, keeping asses in the seats, that shit got me going. I hadnt even realized what I was doing until a few weeks into the game. 5 hours of DJing? WTF!!! I didnt care about that, I cared about playing music and having fun and more than anything, watching other people have a good time... That to me was success. That to me was memorable. That to me will forever be etched in my head, heart and soul..
Thank you to everyone that made those memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment