Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Music

By Trevor A. Keveloh

Music. Whether is be The Beatles, Madonna, Hendrix, TOOL, Rihanna, Elton John or NIN it does something to all of us. Music makes us move, it makes us think, we can literally listen to it anywhere now. We can live out our childhood, we can reenact our teen years, we can embrace our twenties while listening to it anywhere. A bar, club, the gym, home, car, almost anywhere we go, we have music.

What music does to ME is it brings me to another place. Sometimes the past, mostly the present and occasionally the future. But ultimately it makes me FEEL, desire, it makes me love and it makes me think, and on occasion, it makes me HURT. Music is my personal pinnacle of art because you can do so much with music. Some bands are just bands and I will always appreciate that and respect that. But some bands are a fawkn SHOW an entire production. More than just geetars and drums and a singer bleeding his heart out. I love both, I have to admit. I have been in the bar/entertainment industry the past 12 years and I am beyond grateful, actually humble by seeing so many talented artists in the Chicagoland area, Vegas, LA, Phoenix, Miami and so on. It fascinates me.

When I hear a song, a key, a chord or a verse that captivates me, there are times where I go thru an emotional frenzy, there are times I cannot control myself, there are times where I let myself go and become one with the music, and I don't even use psychedelics to do this, I just embrace it with all of me. There are songs that I listen to almost on a daily basis just to calm myself, to build myself, to push myself. Music motivates me to be a better artists, better man and overall, better human. If the song is about hate and destruction, I take in that hate and negativity and I let it fester in me, but I don't spread it like disease. It consumes me for a few minutes and it goes away. I suck it in and blow it out like some purple haze and I move on. The same goes for positive music, same exact scenario. But then there's those certain ones, those handful that I connect with on a level that feels almost inhuman, almost spiritual. I hear, listen, and feel in every inch of my mind, body and soul. It elevates me to a different level of existence.

When I meet someone that feels this deeply about music I want to share experiences. I want to tell them, I want to listen to them, I want to emphasize with them on a grid that may not even need words. To know there are other people who can fall vulnerably into this place are people I want to surround myself with.
And on that note, feel free to add your thoughts, feelings and experiences on this blog.

(In Regards to the song "Reptile," by NIN) (Me)
"There is something incredibly sexy, introverted and inquisitive about this song, this band, this genre of music... Its like opening up Pandora's box, it's like feeding into your sins, it's like ending up places you've always wondered about but were always too scared to visit. It's embracing the darker side of life, experiencing pain and pleasure at once, in a dark lonely room filled with innocence and betray and question... It's life."

No comments:

Post a Comment